St. Scholastica's Priory, Manila, Philippines


Marikina Community and St. Scholastica's Academy
1961

 

St. Scholastica’s Academy, Marikina, was opened in 1961 as a result of the effort of the Sisters of the Manila Priory to deload the Prioress and to decongest the campus of St. Scholastica’s College, Manila. Towards the end of 1959 the Tuason Brothers offered six hectares of land in Marikina at a price that almost made it a gift. The Land was to be paid in installments after five years. The Sisters heartily accepted the offer.

The ground breaking for the new school was held on July 16, 1960 with Mrs. Imelda Cancio-Borromeo, an alumna of St. Scholastica’s College, Manila as the architect.  St. Scholastica’s Academy Marikina takes the central position in the beautifully planned Marikina Heights subdivision occupying a whole block of approximately six (6) hectares of rolling hill ground in the Marikina Valley.

Like all beginnings, that in Marikina Heights was not spared of difficulties. For a start, they had only sixty-two (62) pupils (twenty-nine (29) in pre-school and thirty-three (33) in grade school including some small boys).  Two (2) classes were in one room and they had classes until 2:00 p.m., with recess and lunch break between. Now the school has grown to more than 3,000 students from Kindergarten to Fourth Year, High School.






SSAM Buildings and Grounds



Grade School Activities



High School Activities


Tuason Community Center Foundation, Inc.
Social Apostolate







Sisters in the Marikina Community


St. Scholastica's Priory
2560 Leon Guinto St.1004 Malate, Manila, Philippines
Telephone: 0063-2-524-1524 | 0063-2-526-8075
Fax: 0063-2-521-9292

Web: Sr. Bellarmine Bernas, OSB
bellarmine.bernas@yahoo.com